Learning how to poop in the woods is not a very pleasant subject but hang in there with me.
For many folks it is a very delicate subject and for some it is a HORRIFYING thought to EVER have to deal with pooping in the woods.
But someday it may be a necessary evil for many of us so it is better to be a bit prepared at least!
There are many ways to take care of this ‘ private business’ but there are also some very basic things that everybody doing any kind of wilderness campingshould know about.☺
Sh***ing in the Woods
What many people don’t realize is that HOW you take care of the necessity when you are camping or in the woods can influence your health in a major way.
Flies LOVE shit and finding uncovered poop in the woods provides them with a tasty snack and then they come flying back to land on YOUR snack with their dirty little feet.
I know… ewwWW!
But it’s just the plain hard facts about living in the woods – or camping somewhere that isn’t close to a latrine.
When preparing food outdoors it is a good idea to keep it covered as much as possible at all times for this very reason.
Cat scratching is simply *doing it* as the cats *do it*… scratch a little hole, do what you have to do in it and then cover it really good.
There are several ways to properly hide your poop in the woods by digging a hole and burying it but here is a simple technique that works well.
- Scratch aside the sticks, stones, pine cones, etc… you’ll use this to naturalize the area aagain when you’re all done.
- Use a small shovel or stout stick to dig out a hole about 6 inches deep and about that big around.
- Once you’re done it is a good idea to burn the toilet paper (if you have a lighter or something with you), and also to pee on everything as it will help start the breaking down process.
- Once you’re all done, scoop the dirt back into the hole and spread the sticks, stones and cones back on top.
- PRESTO! Learning how to properly poop in the woods is not all that bad or horrifying. This whole process only takes a few minutes, (or seconds…depending on how urgent the call is!)
- A few tips… dig your hole behind a small blown down log and use it as a ‘sitting bench’… just hang your rear far enough over to miss the log!
There are also ways to build latrines in the woods if you need to build an outhouse or something for a cabin and I’ll try to get a page added on that soon.
AND if the thought of having to crap in the woods is STILL intimidating you, here is a great book on the whole topic. There’s Even a BOOK on How to Poop in the Woods!